Thursday, March 13, 2014

SPORTS TALK AT THE NBS/AERho CONVENTION!


I had a great time talking "sports broadcasting" at the National Broadcasting Society/ AERho Convention in Burbank, CA. 
There was a good crowd of prospective sportscasters at our panel discussion and I told them to:

1. Find your passion in the business & make that your primary goal

2. Get experience wherever you can. 
   A cell phone can be your personal hand-held production studio


3. Network! A lot of times it really is "who you know"

4. Be willing to start out in a small market & work your way up

5. Take job interviews! Even if you do not get the job, the practice  
    will prepare you for your next interview.


The most enjoyable part of the morning was meeting with several conventioneers after the panel discussion. They were all anxious to find ways to get into the very competitive business of sports broadcasting. I hope my suggestions help. Sportscasting can be a great way to make a living, but I also told today's group.

A. Get your vision checked!
     You need to come into this business with your eyes wide open.

B. Eat as much as possible & get a big, fat butt, because someday 
     you just might need something to fall back on.

Thanks for the invitation NBS/AERho.
 I hope everyone enjoyed the morning as much as I did.
**

No comments:

Post a Comment