Sunday, March 23, 2014

HAIL TO THE HIGH SCHOOL HOOPS!

I've worked in sports broadcasting for a lot of years, 
but there always seem to be new challenges.
Last Saturday, I called play-by-play for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet on the CIF High School Regional Basketball Finals.



 These were big games. 
The winners would advance to play for the state championships, next Saturday in Sacramento. The challenging part was getting to call four games in a row, back to back to back to back.
 I had never done that before. 
I got in the announce chair and put on the headset just before 2pm and, except for a couple of bathroom breaks, worked straight through until the final trophies were handed out after 10pm on Saturday night.



I called the Girls' Division I and Girls' Open Division games with my L.A. Sparks' broadcast partner, Tracy Warren. 
We got to see Canyon Springs and Long Beach Poly move on for a
 shot at state titles.
It was fun working with Tracy again and great to call the Boys' Division I and Boys' Open Division games with former UCLA head coach, Jim Harrick. 



I've known Jim for a long time, but this was the first time that we got to work together and we saw two exciting games.
 Centennial High School pulled out a win and so did Mater Dei in a back and forth battle with a very resilient Westchester High. That game featured two of California's top players, 
Stanley Johnson for the Matadors and Elijah Stewart of the Westchester Comets.

It was a treat being back on the high school beat, working with good people, and staring down another challenge. 
Many thanks to our ProAngle/ TWC crew for a job very well done
 on a very long day.
**

No comments:

Post a Comment