Wednesday, July 24, 2013

PART II  of my chat with TINA THOMPSON

Thursday at Staples Center, Tina Thompson will play her last regular season WNBA game in Los Angeles as her retirement tour continues. The L.A. native says it will be an emotional game for her, but not as emotional as it would have been if the Sparks were still playing at the Forum in Inglewood.


TT: "I grew up as an 80's big time Lakers fan. It’s one of my most prized moments in basketball, period. It’s kind of where I found my love for the game. I was just so intrigued and saw that style of play and the battles that they fought and the success they had as a team. It was an unbelievable moment for me the first time I was able to play in the Forum that had so much history, and my basketball career in general was attached to that history, and its one of the big reasons why I played and I had the passion for the game that I did. Because of my age and the time that I grew up, I guess I don’t have the same emotional connection to the Staples Center as I would have playing in the Forum, but anytime you’re going to play somewhere for the last time, I’ve already played 5 last-time games now, and there’s just that certain emotion that you have, but I don’t think it will be one that’s overwhelming because the decision that I’m making right now is one that was very thought out, it wasn’t something that was just a fly-by-night type of decision, so I’m very comfortable with where I am right now with my career and the decisions that I’ve made. I look forward to these moments, they’re going to be happy moments rather than sad ones.” 

Which players had the greatest impact on Tina and her basketball career?

TT: “ Magic Johnson, he’s my favorite player of all-time, and one of my favorite people, and from the WNBA I would have to say Cynthia Cooper, I started with Cynthia in Houston my first year, and her dedication was something that I noticed very early. At the time she was about 12 years older than I was, but her commitment to the game and her individual work ethic was something that stood out for me right away. She played so hard and I didn’t want to be outdone by her, but  I did want to have that same professional approach to the game that Cynthia had. She had an extreme impact on my game and how I approach the game. And Cheryl Miller, I grew up in Southern California, and when you think about women’s basketball and greatness, Cheryl Miller was the first name that came to mind for me, so I would definitely say that Cheryl and Cynthia have had a big impact on me and how I approach the game.”

What highlights stand out in Tina Thompson's mind when she looks back at her incredible career?

TT: “The one that probably brings the most emotion is our 3rd championship in Houston. We dedicated that to our teammate Kim Perrot. (the Comets' point guard who was fighting, and eventually succumbed to cancer) It was an overly tough season for us, physically, emotionally! We just had so much going on and Kim was such a big part of our team and who we were, so her not being able to be there and what she was going through, it was very overwhelming emotionally, so I’m probably most proud of that season because we were pushed to our limits and we didn’t fold, and we dedicated that season to her. So my proudest moment in the WNBA was that season.”



What will Tina do after she retires? The WNBA's all -time leading scorer says coaching is definitely NOT in her plans right now, but spending time with her son, Dyllan. 

TT: “Initially, I’m not going to do anything. I’m really looking forward to doing nothing and just spending a whole lot of time with my son in a different way. Of course he’s with me all the time, but most of the things that we do have been based around my schedule. Now the tables will turn and most of the things we do will be based around him and I’m really looking forward to that. He’s at a stage in his life where he’s just more interested in things and a lot more active. So I’m looking forward to kind of giving him free reign to do all the things that he wants to do and being supportive of that. As I’ve been in the WNBA, I’m going to eventually have to have a job, so I’m looking towards getting into commentary and getting on TV and being an analyst or something like that, but in the meantime I’m not going to do much of anything.”

Doing nothing may prove difficult for someone who has don so much for women's basketball. It has been a real pleasure covering Tina during her WNBA career. She is a class act and a true talent. 
I wish her the very best in whatever she pursues.


**




No comments:

Post a Comment